Tera Database Tool

Here you can ask your questions and post suggestions about site's development.

Tera Database Tool

Postby Kiriak » 19 May 2015, 20:20

Today we are releasing a data mining tool for Tera - TeraDB Tool.

This tool can collect various game related data which is missing for the game client.
First and foremost it'll gather drop data which we all want to see in the database. Besides the drop, it can gather missing NPC and gatherables locations, shop sell lists, chests and boxes contents. All data is collected automatically while you are playing. Collected data is sent to our server automatically when you close the tool.

So if you want to help us fill the database with missing data, please use our tool daily.

Usage instructions
First please download and install:
1. Winpcap: http://www.winpcap.org/install/. It's a driver needed for packet capturing.
2. Data gathering tool itself. http://teradatabase.net/tool/TeraDBTool.rar . [Last update: 27-05-2015]

To use the tool you need to run it with Admin's rights. Start it after you've entered your login/password, but before you've started the game.
Please, add it as trusted app in your firewall settings (if you have it). Otherwise our tool will not be able to send gathered data.

If you have several network adapters on your PC, please choose card with internet connection from the Adapters drop down list.
Select your server from the Server's Information list. Currently our tool supports US/EU/RU servers only.
Input your nick name from our forum into NickName field if you wish see all your gathered data stats in the Contributors List section which will be added soon. You can always leave default nick name if you wish to help anonymously.
Don't forget to press Start Capture button to begin data gathering.

If tool is working correctly you'll the green message in the tools window.

Known limitations:
1. The tool requires an Ethernet connection to the Internet. If you have some pppoe or modem connection it will not work.
Kiriak
Admin

Re: Tera Database Tool

Postby Construct » 22 May 2015, 21:49

I hate being "that guy", but is there an open source for this we can look through? I'd love to help, but an extra layer of confidence would be lovely. :)
Construct

Postby Kiriak » 23 May 2015, 10:07

I understand your concern, but we can't open it's source. Development of such tool requires a lot of work, knowledge and efforts. We can't allow it's source to be used by other guys. If you don't trust it, just don't use it.

On my side i want to say that we are working hard to gain trust and reputation in the eyes of our visitors. It would be stupid to loose it all in one moment after the accusation in stealing someone's account.

We plan to release such tools for our existing and upcoming databases. That's why, even though the tool's source is closed, we've tried to make it's operations clear to the user as much as possible. The tool makes only one connection to our database when you close it. Before that all collected data is written into simple .txt files in the \logs subdir. You can always see the contents of those files in the notepad.
Kiriak
Admin

Postby Tiger69 » 23 May 2015, 17:32

Admin wrote: The tool makes only one connection to our database when you close it. Before that all collected data is written into simple .txt files in the \logs subdir. You can always see the contents of those files in the notepad.

As I can see in the "contributors" page Tool work fine, but I dont have any .txt files in the \logs or \cache subdirs.
Tiger69

Postby Kiriak » 23 May 2015, 18:03

Those files are kept on the disk only while the tool is working.
When you close the tool, it zips all files, sends them to our server and, if they were sent successfully, deletes the files from the logs folder to avoid duplicate data.

P.S. Thanks for using our tool, Tiger69.
Kiriak
Admin

Postby h4x0r » 24 May 2015, 11:37

Tiger69 wrote:As I can see in the "contributors" page Tool work fine, but I dont have any .txt files in the \logs or \cache subdirs.

You can see files in logs folder only while capturing data. Cache folder it is used if the data for whatever reason have not been sended on server.
h4x0r

Postby JasonLucas » 18 Jun 2015, 12:37

Hey hey, nice work with this database.
Im using this tool and hope that help with database.
Btw. I do not know if this is within your reach, but you could add a average drop rate based on data collected, like GW2 wiki works. It should be cool.
JasonLucas

Postby Kiriak » 19 Jun 2015, 19:29

Hey, JasonLucas. Thanks for using our tool. It really helps!

As for drop rate. Unfortunately Tera's protocol is designed in a way that it's impossible to detect a mob's death. We can only catch drop data from it. So we can only calculate drop rate when there was actually some drop. And most times you get no drop at all. In other words such rates would be quite inaccurate. :(
Kiriak
Admin

Postby navjack27 » 11 Jul 2016, 04:29

what is going on with the us version of the database? also, could i get an archive of the items? i'm looking into just having a local copy of this stuff and i'd like to not need to collect it myself, considering the tool don't even work for some reason.
navjack27

Postby Kiriak » 12 Jul 2016, 12:51

Thanks for the error report. Fixed that.
As for a local copy, sorry but we can't provide you with that.
Kiriak
Admin

Next

Return to Database development